Morning in Hang Zhou, view from our hotel window.
I must say it was really nice of RC and ZY to loan us their company car, and with Mr Khoo driving us around, we managed to pack quite a few things in one day!
First stop, The Liu He Pagoda.
Legend has it that Liu He was the boy who threw rocks into Qian Tang Jiang to stop tidal waves from flooding the place.
And here's a white sculpture of Liu He at the foot of the pagoda whom we all mistook for the legendary Ne Zha (ngua ngua). Ignoramus I know, but don't you think there really was a resemblance?
Climbing up the pagoda, I could've sworn I was here before more than a decade ago when dad brought us touring China when I was still in primary six.
The pagoda spiraled upwards as the steps got steeper and spaces got tighter and at the top, you can almost picture the seasonal tidal waves crashing onto shore with a view of Qian Tang Jiang.
The octogonal pagoda also offered other good views including lush mountain ranges.
Above: Locals out for a morning row in Xi Hu.
It was cold. Can you tell?
I think the four of us did not 'get' the appeal of the renown scenic West Lake but looking back at this picture, the painting-like landscape behind us looked like some afro aura radiating from the two of our heads which is kinda cool! Haha ;p
Moving along, Mr Khoo stopped by this bamboo forest which I thought was a nice touch. Peacful.
Flying Daggers anyone? :)
Over at patriot Yue Fei's Temple, I was almost certain then that I've been here before, when I was twelve. Anyway, I love these hairy grass hah :)
There were other places we went to which I can't find pictures of like the Long Jing Tea Plantation where I spent hundreds of dollars for top grade tea, an eating place stop-over where we were actually asked to go into the kitchen to pick what we'd like for lunch :o and the Ling Yin Temple where we climbed and explored sculptural caverns.
There was definitely something elegant and cultural about Hang Zhou but all in all, the day still strangely felt a little bit touristy for me, which was why we were pleasantly surprised exploring this well designed local school we chanced upon walking along the streets.
There were bamboos and ambient music was playing over the PA system, students were studying in the open lawns and gardens and there's this cosy little cafe ran by the students where we we hung out talking.
Cable car up the Northern Peak.
I remember there was a queue waiting for the cars and we were happy to find oureselves first in line :) But when the cars finally arrived, the people around overpowered us and we somehow ended up last. We were rather upset, but they were probably laughing at us for being too slow :(
This is, if I'm not wrong, the highest peak in Hang Zhou, and overlooking the town, it was a nice place to end the trip.
It was then back to Shanghai for our flight back home.
Special Thanks goes out to Rebecca, Zhi Yong and Wei Loong :)
No comments:
Post a Comment