Which is right up Mr. YQ’s alley here (pun fully intended)
cos he too rides a bike back home.
And this is where we shop for a helmet, most of which do not
satisfy Singapore’s safety regulation.
And judging by the way they park their scooters, neither are
the motorcycle lots.
I took this photo solely because I was amazed by the glass
building at the rear disappearing into the background.
There were a few note-worthy shops scattered around Zhong
Zheng and Central Taipei that made it an attraction and setting it apart from
Ximending and Taipei East.
For instance, the Miniature Museum...
...which was like a whole other world located in the basement of an
office building.
And the Paper Museum which we weren’t allowed to take photos, so I kinda snuck in these 2 pictures (below) of their bathroom doors just to make myself feel better ;p Cheap Thrills.
And the Taiwan Storyland, which I was so looking forward to,
but to my dismay, had actually closed down and I was utterly utterly disappointed. Utterly.
But we managed to find this Gundam Toy Shop within the same
building which was a fun browse through.
Real Steel!
The main attraction for me however, was local book and music
store, the Eslite Flagship Store in Taipei East. This is where I stock up on indie mandarin music CDs I can’t
find back in Singapore.
Gotten carried away, we soon found out that most eating
places around closed sometime after lunch and don’t resume business until
sometime just before dinner.
Closed :(
But this place looks nice. Let's take a photo :)
So we settled for drinks at one of the coffee joints and
later, eagle-eye YQ spotted an eating place across the road still open and it
turned out to be one of the best thing we had in our trip :D
Ximending is like the Orchard Road of Taipei. Actually it’s more like the Orchard Road of Japan. And with
that I do mean the Shinjuku of Japan. Or maybe it’s Akihabara, I’m not sure. They all look
the same to me.
Bright lights and billboards, Ximending picks up crowd as
the sun sets especially on the weekends.
With its pedestrianized streets, it is no wonder that it’s a
favourite gathering place especially for the youngsters to meet, eat and shop.
Chanced upon a toyshop hidden in the upper parts of the
shops that seemed to be managed by a bunch of kids who are very passionate
about their work.
There is much to buy here in Ximending. but having only
started out, we did not want excess baggage for the rest of the trip so we
promised to return after Jiufen and Hualian,
Planning to cover at least one night market before we leave
for the northern territory, we decided to hop on over to Raohe for dinner.
Skipping roadside stalls, we decided to give this Teppanyaki joint a go and it served up a large portion of main and side
dishes for a rather reasonable price. Not bad, not bad at all.
Night markets are really like flea markets (or pasar malam)
back home which I probably won’t go out of the way for. But being part of
Taiwan’s popular culture, I actually don’t mind rubbing shoulders with the
local just to soak up some atmosphere.
No comments:
Post a Comment